Pages

Wednesday 11 April 2018

A-Z Challenge 2018 - British Rivers: 'J' Jordan

I never expected when I started this Challenge that I would find that I have bathed in the waters of the River Jordan. 

I did not know that the Jordan rises in Northamptonshire runs for 4 miles through Leicestershire and enters the River Welland at Market Harborough.

I swam in the Jordan/Welland waters at the 30ft bathing spot on the Welland at my home village of Ketton in Rutland.


River Jordan at Little Bowden
(by Jonathan Calder at Liberal England)
I have also found a second English Jordan down on the south coast in Dorset.

River Jordan near Preston
Footbridge over the R Jordan at Sutton Poyntz

This is the river included in a painting by John Constable in 1816 and where it enters the sea near Weymouth,

Weymouth Bay
Weymouth Bay includes Bowleaze Cove, Jordan Hill and the small River Jordan flowing over the beach with Furzy Cliff in the background.

The Constable painting is in the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square, London.

Photo attributions:

  • River Jordan near Preston: 19 Nov 2007 ex geograph.org.uk by Graham Horn - CC BY-SA 2.0l icence
  • Footbridge over River Jordan: 13 February 2010 ex geograph.org.uk by Chris Downer - CC BY-SA 2.0l icence
  • Weymouth Bay: National Gallery in Public Domain.

9 comments:

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Never heard of that one

Wendy said...

Oh that footbridge! So cute. But really, it appears any able bodied person could just leap across. But I'd take the bridge just anyway. Constable is one of my favorite artists.

Kristin said...

The foot path looks ancient. The second photo with the river and the green and the hills, beautiful.

http://findingeliza.com/

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - amazing I used to live just outside Market Harborough ... but never knew that the Jordan ran into the Welland. Lovely art work ... by Constable - and that village of Sutton Poyntz .... what fun to read about - cheers Hilary

Jo said...

Who'd a thought? I didn't know we had River Jordans in the UK. But then I didn't know most of the rivers you have mentioned so far. Love that Bridge.

Donna B. McNicol said...

Great photos, Bob!

Donna B. McNicol|Author and Traveler
A to Z Flash Fiction Stories | A to Z of Goldendoodles

Unknown said...

Lobing every one of your rivers

Unknown said...

Should proof read better It should have said I am LOVING everone of your Rivers.

Emily in Ecuador said...

Wow, that footbridge! So beautiful.