Pages

Sunday 4 June 2017

Sunday Stamps II - Interesting Fonts

Interesting theme; I had never considered fonts when collecting stamps.

What have I discovered this week?

At the risk of boring you again I must mention that the 2016 Pets USA stamps that I linked to last week had fonts in 'serifa' - I never knew that before.

The Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer Christmas stamps from 2014 had


a font called 'Verlag'. This was initially designed for the Guggenheim Museum, but was expanded and released to the public in 2006.

I thought that stamps identified by the name Helvetia ought to use the font 'Helvetica' like this one from Great Britain.

Great Britain 1969
However when it comes to fonts, perhaps Switzerland 'wins' after all.

Switzerland - 1969
For more fonts or even christenings(?) visit Sunday-Stamps-II-129.

6 comments:

FinnBadger said...

I would never have thought about the Rudolph stamps, and I have to say I think you win today with the Swiss font.

violet s said...

I spent hours (seriously, way to many hours!) trying to find the names of some fonts on possible stamp choices for this week - kudos to you for finding the "verlag"
And yes, Switzerland seems to use many fonts that are not Helvetica!!

Joy said...

Clever Swiss inclusion. I like the bold Giro one, our old main post office (no longer a working post office) still has the brass plate of National Giro on the outside.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - fonts are interesting aren't they ... I'd have not paid much attention probably - except I'm blogging - but learnt from the London Underground fonts and spacings etc (don't understand typography either!) ...

The one obvious mistake recently that stood out like a sore thumb was one of the Tories lectern frontages, which was most disconcerting, the typefaces didn't match, nor did the spacing -

Cheers Hilary

Mail Adventures said...

I think that typography is something that most people, even collectors, don't consider. But of course it is very important in the design of the stamps. I like your choice, and the fact that you found the name of the font, too.

Pat Tillett said...

One more subject that I know very little about.