Pages

Thursday 20 April 2017

A-Z Challenge 2017 - Houses, some real, some not - 'Q'

Q - Quarry Bank House

The Irish born industrial entrepreneur Samuel Greg built this house for his family in 1800.


Quarry Bank House
(Styal, Cheshire - 8 August 2013, ex geograph.org.uk, by David Dixon - CC BY-SA 2.0)
This year will be the first time the public will be able to explore the house.

In 1783 Samuel Greg had built a cotton mill, Quarry Bank Mill, on the River Bollin in Cheshire.

Quarry Bank Mill, Styal, Cheshire
(18 April 2015 by Francis Franklin - CC BY-SA 4.)
Quarry Bank Mill is one of Britain's greatest industrial heritage sites which shows how a complete industrial community lived.

A recent Channel 4 TV series entitled 'The Mill' was inspired by the Gregs and Quarry Bank.

The estate, Quarry Bank House and the Mill are now National Trust properties and open to the public.

7 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

Are you planning a visit to Quarry Bank House?
-----
Eva - Mail Adventures

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - I first heard a talk on Radio 4 about Quarry Bank Mill .. fascinating and I'd love to get up and see both the Mill and the house - I'm not sure I watched the tv series ... sometimes I've had enough education for a day - so things get missed - but thankfully I can always go back and re-look ... cheers Hilary

http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/q-is-for-quirky-quizzy-facts-and-quaggas.html

Anonymous said...

I am in awe of the beautiful brick work in buildings, particularly factories/mills of yesteryear. It saddens me that many are piles of rubble. I am happy that the National Trust appreciates the history of such places. My Virtual Vineyard

Bob Scotney said...

Eva - just another house to add to my bucket list - but I would be just as pleased to visit the Mill.

FinnBadger said...

Incredible how the industrial revolution changed the face of Britain.

Phillip | Q is for Quidditch

Jo said...

I was born in Cheshire but don't know the house or the mill, maybe because we moved south when I was 8. Nice looking house.

Kristin said...

Sounds interesting. I do like to see how things used to be.
Finding Eliza