Pages

Saturday 14 May 2016

Something nasty in the woodshed

In the midst of gardening it's not the time to discover 'something nasty in the woodshed" - well in a wooden shed at least.


It wasn't that tidy today when what looked like concentric eggshells were discovered hanging from the roof.


What came first? The chicken or the egg?

The occupant took exception to a close up and was not at all like a chicken.

Something nasty in the woodshed
The wasp threatened to turn nasty as it buzzed around my head.

Wasps can built nests like this as large as footballs and be inhabited by hundreds of the things.

Regretfully it was I who had to metamorphose into something nasty in the wooden shed and dispose of the nest - wasps need planning permission to build in a place like this.

8 comments:

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

My wife hates that I don't take out the nests in our car port. I tell her to leave them alone and they'll leave her alone. She has a very mean look.

Ann Bennett said...

I am prone to killing wasps. Their sting is quite vicious. There is one sort I leave alone. They are not hostile. So if it is one of sheds, I just leave them. The other ones get zapped. Sort of like doing business, when someone is friendly, it is hard to tell them no.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - what amazing shots ... so English - a well used small wooden shed with a longevity belying its years, then the wonderful looking wasps nest - you have to admire critters - they are inventive ...

But as you say - needs must ... and that nasty must be removed by one brave owner of said shed ...

I hope they don't go off and get planning permission!!?? Cheers and enjoy the rest of the weekend and some warmer weather - cheers Hilary

Bob Scotney said...

Hilary - if they dare put in an application I shall have to call in pest control!

Jo said...

Dangerous business removing a wasps nest. I hate the things and think you were brave to get rid of them.

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Wasps are mighty dangerous...and need permission indeed...here too!!...:)JP

Kristin said...

I just listened to "Cold Comfort Farm" this week and I'm glad to finally know what was nasty in the shed. I used to have a very large wasps nest, empty of wasps, and I hung it in side. I don't know what happened to it but it's not here. Your shed does look so organized and neat. If we had one, my husband would have it so stuffed full of stuff.

Little Nell said...

Oh dear, silly wasp for making its nest there. In one of our old houses we had a huge nest right above where we sat out during Summer. We left it and they never bothered us, nor came in the house. As a child I was forever being stung by them , so they are not my favourite creatures. Here in Lanzarote we get Solitary Wasps or Potters Wasps, which are enormous but harmless, and they do exactly the same thing, making their nests near the house and in sheds,