Pages

Sunday 15 February 2015

Roses for Valentines - Sunday Stamps II

I just had to pick roses for the Valentine theme this week as these where the only 'related' items I had in my collection.

On 30 June 1976  a set was issued to commemorate the centenary of the Royal National Rose Society.

Great Britain - Elizabeth of Glamis
Named in honour of the late Queen Mother it was the first rose to be granted copyright protection in Britain.

Great Britain - Rosa Mundi
Rosa Mundi was first described in 1583. Sir Thomas Hanmer's Garden Book (1659) says it was originally found in Norfolk.

An earlier legend says that it was named after Rosamund Clifford, the mistress of Henry II (1154 - 1189)

In the last two weeks I have been given an envelope that originated in New Zealand. I'll show this later but for now the roses it contained will suffice.

New Zealand - Roses
These are Super Star, Cresset and Michelle Meilland. I believe Michelle Meilland must be related to the French grower Francis Meilland who bred the rose in 1945.

Now all I have to do is to wait for the roses in our garden to bloom again this year.

For other Valentine specials check out the links at Sunday-stamps-ii-9.




6 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

These stamps are really beautiful and make me dream of spring. I've been always fascinated by names of roses.

Joy said...

I like unadorned nature of the Rose Society stamps which shows off their beauty.

FinnBadger said...

It's amazing how long roses have been cultivated. They are fascinating flowers, and these are lovely stamps. I'm surprised they're not the subject of British stamps more often.

viridian said...

Ah Spring. It will be here in a few months. Meanwhile, we have some tea roses purchased for Valentines day, that brighten our dining area.

VioletSky said...

Sometimes, I enjoy the names of the roses more than the actual roses.

♥ Willa @ Postage Journal♥ said...

This stamps gave me a glimpse of the coming spring,so beautiful....

Willa @ Postage Journal For Sunday Stamp: Heart