Pages

Tuesday 29 April 2014

A-Z Challenge 2014 - 'Y'


Y - Yorkshire Terrier ("Yorkie")

The Yorkshire Terrier was developed in the 19th century, as the name suggests, in Yorkshire specifically to catch rats in clothing mills.

One famous dog is still regarded as the "father of the breed."
Huddersfield Ben
(Scanned for 'The Dogs of the British Isles by John Henry Walsh)
An authority on the breed wrote (in 1891), "Huddersfield Ben was the best stud dog of his breed during his lifetime and though his puppies has defined the breed as we know it today. He is still referred to as the father of the breed."

The Yorkie I meet almost every day is very sprightly.
Charlie - Yorkshire Terrier
He may be a Toy Terrier and blind in one eye, but that does not prevent him walking so briskly that it's a job to keep up with him. He knows exactly where he's going and where he is going to stop and sniff.

Dogs 101 claim that the Yorkie is the second most popular dog in the world. Check out what they say on this video Yorkie.

8 comments:

Sharon Himsl said...

Well, I don't have rats to contend with, but I'd take a Yorkie any day!
Shells–Tales–Sails

Francene Stanley said...

Cut little dogs, although I prefer the slimmer shape. I've known and loved a greyhound and a Yorkie is the opposite in shape. It's fascinating that Yorkies were bred for killing rats in factories. No wonder they're quick.

David Robinson said...

Another post that strikes a chord with me, Bob.

We had a Yorkie, Sweep, and he was a bad-tempered little so-and-so. He'd fit in a handbag but had the heart of a lion.

Jo said...

I have known two Yorkies. Friends had a cute, sweet little dog who was really lovable and then my mother had one called Growler who was a vicious little brute. He could be sweet as sugar one minute and bite you the next. My cousin used to wear thick gloves and boots when she gave him a bath.

Bish Denham said...

I've known several Yorkies and they've all been spunky individuals. Like Chihuahuas, I think they live under the assumption they are BIG dogs.

Julie Flanders said...

Charlie is adorable. I had no idea that they were originally bred to catch rats.

Lisa said...

If I ever get another dog, this breed will be it!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - they are lovely dogs - an elderly has one here, Toby, and he keeps us all company!

They are of course special in your heart .. coming from that county of Yorkshire!

I bet they were great rat catchers though ... cheers Hilary