Pages

Wednesday 9 April 2014

A-Z Challenge 2014 - 'H'


H - Husky, Hooch, Hound Dog

Thanks to Maya 'H' turned out easier than I thought.


Maya - Husky
I meet her almost every day in the village where she is trying to pull her owner along; if it snowed I'm sure she would demand to be in harness with a sledge. She is very friendly and wants to check your pockets to see if you have any treats; she also wants to smell your breath to see what you have had to eat. Once you have put her in her place by holding her down by pressure on the back of her neck she will stand and wait quite happily until told to move on.

Maya waiting to go
Maya is named after one of the Huskies in the Disney film "Eight Below" which is based on a story of a team of Huskies and their rescue after being left behind by an Antarctic expedition. The 2 hour film came be watched on You Tube.I hope the trailer whets your appetite.


That brings me to Hooch - that's the dog's name in the film "Turner and Hooch". Hooch is played by a dog called Beasley. He is a Dogue de Bordeaux, a French Mastiff. French Mastiffs are not as loving as Hooch; they are bred to be guard dogs.

Here's a clip from the film where Hooch gets a bath.



There are a lot of hounds of one type or another that I could have included here. Then I remembered the song made famous by Big Mama Thornton which became a hit for Elvis, "You ain't nothing but a hound dog" and now I can't get it out of my mind.

However it's a Bloodhound that I have chosen to include to round off this post.



Bloodhound, Lizzie Borden
demonstrating a proper 'down-stay'
(9 August 2000 - by Asilverstein; CC BY-SA 3.0)







12 comments:

Maria said...

Thanks for sharing your snap shots of Maya, the husky. I have always wanted husky as a pet but I think my part of Asia is way too warm and humid for them.

Visiting for the A-Z Challenge.

Cheers!

Marc Latham said...

Nice post, huskies are really cool looking, and usually nicely behaving.

Jo said...

Lovely pix as usual Bob. A down stay is usually very difficult as the dog does NOT want to stay without it's owner. One one of my GSDs was doing it perfectly until he got stung by a wasp.

Huskies are lovely dogs. Remember Turner and Hooch. If I had a dog that slobbered like that, I am afraid it wouldn't last long with me. Much as I like dogs.

Bish Denham said...

I have not seen Eight Below, and will have to look if its on Netflix.

21 Wits said...

You offer the best in dog love!

Julie Flanders said...

You have so many gorgeous dogs in your village. Maya is a beauty.

DougVernX said...

I had a Siberian Husky once his name was Chipper. He would pull all the time too. I did try putting a harness on him in the winter and I would walk him while wearing my skis. We both loved that.

When I came back home from college breaks he would as soon as he saw me he would howl like I was his long lost friend finally home. Of course I howled right along with him. lol

Great post!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

beautiful pup

Unknown said...

Excellent use of the letter H. Love you pictures.

Lisa said...

There is a series of six books by a local author, Virginia Lanier, where I live who wrote about bloodhounds https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/22348.Virginia_Lanier and using them to find folks lost in the Okefenokee Swamp and surrounding areas... I really enjoyed them because they taught me a lot about bloodhounds and how they work.

Donna Smith said...

Maya is gorgeous. I think they require more exercise than I could provide, but they are a nice dog.
Donna Smith
The A-to-Z Challenge
http://mainelywrite.blogspot.com
Mainely Write

Kristin said...

My 4th daughter had a sled once when we lived in Michigah. She had a part rotweiller/german shephard and a rotweiller/lab. At one point a friend who ran dogs in local races, gave her a husky. One of the other dogs was so mean, we had to give it back. She never ran in any races, just around the area. We lived out in the woods. Sheena was the husky's name.