Pages

Sunday 9 June 2013

Darwin Jigsaw - Sunday Stamps

I know I have shown one of these stamps before which were issued in 2009 to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the birth of Charles Darwin. However I decided to show it again with the First Class stamp from the same set.
Great Britain - Charles Darwin
The other jigsaw pieces in the set represented:
Great Britain - Darwin - Zoology
I do not have the others, but they were.
  • 50p Ornithology (Finches)
  • 56p Geology (Aerial view of Galapagos Islands)
  • 72p Botany (Orchid)
  • 81p Anthropology (Ape)
There were four more stamps of conventional (oblong) shape; two First Class showing a flightless cormorant, and a giant tortoise and a cactus finch; two at 81p of a marine iguana and a mocking bird

I'll keep and eye out for these with my market trader.

For other shapes and sizes check out those offered at Viridian's Sunday-stamps-125.


9 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob .. I didn't see these - they may well be in my mother's 'collection of stamps' - but Darwin is a fascinating scientist ..

What a great set .. thanks for sharing them .. Hilary

Lisa B said...

another set I missed! I was thinking that GB didn't do interesting shapes, so I am happy to be proved wrong :)
You may well find the missing ones to complete the set, a couple of weeks ago, I got the 1996 set for the children's tv (where I only had Sooty and Stingray), I might post them next week as they are nice.

agi said...

these are one of my favourites by royal mail

Joy said...

An ingenious idea for the Darwin issue. They looked good too although I guess you would have to be careful when separating.

Jo said...

Jigsaw stamps?

I don't think of Darwin as elderly with a beard, I think of a much younger man, clean shaven. Don't know why.

viridian said...

Thank you Bob! I think one would have to be careful in separating the stamps, not to pull off the tab.

VioletSky said...

Jo's comment is interesting as I only think of Darwin as elderly with a long, white beard!
The jigsaw is interesting - did the pieces actually connect with each other, do you know?

No stamps for me this week, too busy with other things, but I wanted to see what everyone found.

Mail Adventures said...

They are really odd-shaped stamps!

Little Nell said...

I've never seen these before (I don't think). I love jigsaws though so they do appeal.