Pages

Sunday 2 September 2012

Music and Dance - Sunday Stamps


The theme this week for Sunday Stamps is art, music, or dance.

After a lot of searching to avoid showing repeats I've settled on three stamps this time.

The first I know nothing about although it seems to depict a dance and possible some form of instrument as well.

China
 Then I found a composer on a stamp.

Germany
A stamp which commemorates Carl Maria Von Weber and if I've got it right this stamp is postmarked 1976, the 150th anniversary of his death in 1826. Weber (1786-1826) was the founder of the Romantic School of German Opera and a pioneer in modern piano composition. In 1813 he served as a conductor at Prague and later reorganised the Royal Opera at Dresden. In 1824 he accepted an invitation from the Royal Opera, London to compose and produce the opera Oberon. In 1826 , already suffering from TB, he went to England where he finished the work and conducted its premiere on 12th April. He died in London in June 1826.

I'm sure that one of you will be able to tell me about the instrument in my third stamp.

Greece
Is it a mandolin?

For further music and dance skip over to Sunday-stamps-86

4 comments:

Jo said...

No Bob its a balalaika. Played by Greeks everywhere.

♥♥ Willa ♥♥ said...

Thanks to Jo's comment above.It's my first time to know about Balalaika. :)
My Sunday Stamp: Arts,Music, And Dance

Joy said...

I'll come up with a different name for the Greek instrument its a bouzouki, not dissimilar to a mandolin but a slightly different pitch (balalaika is a Russian pointy instrument).
I like the three views of the conductor, nice visual.

viridian said...

The Chinese stamps is fun!
Thanks for participating!