Pages

Thursday 26 April 2012

Faith - Thematic Photography

Faith as a topic takes me on a tour of some famous buildings.

Truro Cathedral
In front of this great window is a magnificent view of the altar.

Truro Cathedral altar 

We have just commemorated the hundredth anniversary of the loss of the Titanic, but in three years time it will be 100 years since the sinking of the Lusitania. When I wrote about the lost of the Andorra Star, another ship torpedoed, in WWII a friend sent me these photos of a memorial.

Memorial in Tealby
But when you see the detail you find that it includes a victim from the Lusitania.

Lost on the Lusitania
Closer to home my local church includes this small stain glass window which shows the church itself.

Kirklevington Church window
Regular participants will know that I worked in Norway for a while. While on my travels I came across this church.

Norwegian country church

I started in Cornwall at Truro but I finish with two English gems

Ruins of Fountains Abbey, near Ripon, North Yorkshire
York Minster
For other faith full views you need to visit Carmi's TP 193

10 comments:

Luanne G. Smith said...

Wow, gorgeous pictures. I really wish I'd had time to stop in York to see that cathedral. I've read it is quite something inside. Next time.

Little Nell said...

Some of my favourite places there Bob, especially Truro and Fountains.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photos! Happy A to Z!

21 Wits said...

You always in the past post the most lovely of castles, and now you have taken me through some lovely places of faith, and what an amazing sight of D. Todd's, very interesting post Bob!

Alexia said...

I really want to see York Minster; it is high on my list!
I love the stained glass windo with the church inset. Very nice set of pictures, Bob.

Jo said...

That altar is pretty fantastic. Its amazing what has been created in the name of faith.

One of my favourite cathedrals that I ever saw was Ta Pinu on Gozo, the sister island of Malta. At the time it was quite simple and not overstuffed with ornamentation, that's not to say it hasn't changed since I was there in the 60's.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob .. love the pictures of Truro Cathedral (almost home to me - as my mother is Cornish) .. and your little window in your own church - I just love stained glass!

The other photos are amazing - the Lusitania .. etc and your Nordic church ..

Cheers Hilary

Kelsea said...

These are great photos! The ruins picture would have to be my favorite!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Beautiful pics, Bob.

I like Norwegian country church with the rocky cliffs behind it the best.
~

carmilevy said...

I literally said "whoa" as the page loaded. These are spectacular, Bob! For a whole lot of reasons. I love how you've balanced the pristine with the ruined...they're all inspiring in their own unique way.