Pages

Tuesday 16 August 2011

Glassy Eyed - Thematic Photography

I mentioned in earlier posts that I lived and worked in Norway for 10 years.The last project I was involved with was for Norske Shell in Tanager during the planning stage for the Troll 'A' Project. I left reluctantly when beaten by the Norwegian Tax Man!

My parting gift from Shell has become my favourite troll. He fits this week's glass theme.

Troll
I travelled backward to England every third weekend during my time in Norway. During that time I bought a number of Hadeland glass animal ornaments. It was my intention to show you a series of pictures of them. However glass, light and reflections meant I ws not very successful in photographing them.

Hadeland Glass Animals
By this time I was feeling rather blue.

Blue mood

My mind cleared a little and so did the bottles.

Blue Bottles
On reflection I decided I did not mind the shadows here and that I would try to swim with my dolpin one more time.

Hadeland Dolphin
But even he was in a reflective mood. It was enough to drive me to drink.

Decanters
Not that this did me much good as even the decanters were empty.

You will just have to console yourself with other glasses on offer at Carmi's Thematic Photographic 158 Made of Glass.

7 comments:

Little Nell said...

Like you Bob, I found the glass very tricky to photograph, but I think we won in the end. The 'glass menagerie' is delightful, as is the collection of blue glass. My daughter has a fine collection of blue glass and it looks wonderful displayed on a window sill with the sun shining through it.

Rosalind Adam said...

What a coincidence. I have a glass etched rabbit much like your lovely troll and I also have a collection of blue glass bottles almost identical to yours... but I haven't tried photographing them!

Alexia said...

The troll is great, and I love the blue glass. A creative collection of pictures :)

Mustang Sally said...

I love the whole set but that troll is just awesome.

Barbara said...

Very fun story, Bob! Your photos of glass are great. Tricky as it might be to photograph glass it is very fun playing - and fighting - with the shadows. I love the troll, BTW. Thanks for your comments about my hummingbirds. I do love having them around. Feel free to snag copies if you wish. They are just too fun not to share.

Max Sartin said...

I really like the bottles, as I kind of collect glass bottles and glasses, and they are the most beautiful blue. But the way you made the dolphin glow is stunning.

carmilevy said...

When I'm looking for advice on how to shoot glass of any sort, I'm coming to you: These are fabulous. They almost have an energy all their own!

I can't wait to see what you come up with for the upcoming Vibrant theme :)