Pages

Sunday 17 July 2011

Birds on Sunday Stamps

I'm pleased to be able to rejoin Viridian's Sunday Stamps now I am back in the UK. This week's theme of  'Birds' has given me a problem as I have over 50 bird stamps.

In 1966 Great Britain issued a set of four stamps of which I can present just two, I'm missing the blackbird and the robin.

Black-headed Gull & Blue Tit (1966)
Later issues included waterbirds - again I have two of these.

Dipper & Puffin
 The puffin stamp was issued to commemorate the centenary of the Royal Society for Protection of Birds. The puffin colonies in the UK are threatened by the reduction in availability of sandeels, their staple food.

Another bird whose numbers are decreasing as a result of modern farming methods is shown on my next stamp.
Lapwing (also known as the peewit)
Becaause I've been on holiday in the USA I ought to show some of their stamps. The first one below is a favourite of mine.

Pelican
I have still to research the details about the Pelican Island refuge.

Blue Jay & Ring-necked Pheasant
Finally for this week I must include the stamp commemorating a famous man who painted birds, John James Audubon (1785-1851).


You may read all about him and the Audubon Society at John James Audubon You can also follow the Audubon Society on Facebook if you wish.

For more bird stamps visit Viridian's sunday-stamps-27

7 comments:

Postcardy said...

The puffin looks so cute, and also intelligent.

Unknown said...

Nice selection, I like most the Blue Jay

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

The dipper has always been one of my favourites. I don't remember the puffin though.

GadgetSponge.com said...

I've got that last Audubon stamp also in my post. It's fantastic. I really like the Blue Tit stamp up top. Thanks for sharing the collection!

Postcard Perfect said...

The Blue Jay is such a beautiful bird!

My SundayStamp:Birds

viridian said...

The dipper looks like a sweet bird. glad to have you back from vacation.

Dorincard said...

Nice selection! Cool puffin. :)